The Correctional Healthcare Patient and Environment
Contact Hours: 1
Our continuing nursing education courses are accredited by the California Board of Registered Nurses, the Georgia Board of Nursing, and the Florida Board of Nursing. All states recognize our courses for accredited continuing education contact hours.
Audience: An online continuing education course for nurses, medical health professionals, and other interested individuals
Have you just discovered the hidden healthcare practice setting of jails and prisons? Maybe you responded to an employment notice or met a nurse working in a local facility. Or, you may be preparing for an interview or your first day of work on a temporary assignment at a state prison. Many nurses and others in healthcare are not even aware of the interesting and challenging field of correctional healthcare. This course provides an understanding of the correctional healthcare environment and characteristics of the patient population. In just one short hour you will gain insight into the criminal justice system and what makes correctional healthcare special.
1. Differentiate the various types of correctional settings in the US.
2. Outline common characteristics of the inmate-patient population that affect healthcare delivery.
3. Describe major physical and mental health care issues in the inmate-patient population.
Overview of the Criminal Justice System
• Detained vs. Sentenced
• Jail vs. Prison
• County, State, Federal
• Security Levels and Housing Classifications
Types of Healthcare Delivery
• Self-Operated vs. Independent Healthcare Services
• Working with Custody in a Secure Environment
• General Categories of Healthcare provided
Physical Health Concerns
• Chronic Illness
• Infectious Diseases
Mental Health Concerns
• Mental Illness
• Traumatic Brain Injury/PTSD
• Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco Use